Skip to main content

Vocabulary: You never stop learning

Cute & Fun words

By Barbara Echard





I speak English as a second language. I studied English language teaching, I have a certified C2 level in reading, listening, writing and, speaking in this language and I have been living in Canada for over three years so far fully immersed in my second language. I should feel confident in my language skills, although you never really do πŸ˜–, "there should be no surprises"- I used to think. But having learned my second language as an adult, in a foreign academic context, there are limits to the themes, topics and circumstances one is exposed to in order to acquire new more language. 

Now that I live here in Toronto, I have met new people, gone through new challenges, had different jobs, taken up new hobbies, etc. all of which have offered opportunities for new input, that is to say, learning new words! So, here I will share some of my favourite new words and expressions I have learned so far, please keep in mind that Canada is a truly multicultural place, therefore not all words in this list are necessarily 100% Canadian English. 

Enjoy.

Cute & Fun words

Toe beans: This is the cutest word I have ever learned and I feel is totally accurate to describe the shape - and smell - of our doggies' paws. 🐾

Coat: another doggy-related word, referring to their furry natural surface. 

Pop: Canadian for soda. 

Toque: Canadian for cute wool winter hat. 

Trinkets: Those cute little key chains, charms, little accessories we can't stop buying. 

Health - related

Requisition: the order the doctor gives for lab tests.

Blood work: not creepy, just another name for a blood test.

Coil: Informal for any IUD contraceptive. The copper IUD for example is an actual t-shaped device with a copper wire wrapped around it, like a coil. It may have been originated there.

Expressions

Yesternight, yesterweek, yestermonth: yep! a big stretch to yesterday, with the same past tense, last time meaning. 

Choppy water: violent waves in the lake or sea. - I love that this expressions translates almost literally to my first language, Chilean Spanish, as "el mar estΓ‘ picado". 

Lake Ontario was choppy that day. A storm was brewing!


This entry was written 100% with Human Intelligence.... 100% organic, gluten friendly and dairy-free. 
Copyright of images...all mine, taken by me. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crash Landing on Korean!

Crash Landing on Korean I took an impromptu trip to Seoul, South Korea, to spend some time nursing my younger sister who had broken both arms in a E-Bike accident. Yes, she crash-landed on the floor, but so did I, though figuratively, when I had to help her around without knowing any more than Anyongaseiyo! So, here I am ready to tell you about my linguistic journey from Toronto to Seoul, that although short, was very intense for my brain... Oh, Me me me...sorry. By the way, my sister is fine, she is fully recovered. So now that the worry and guilt are out of the way... let's dive into this process of trying to tread water in a sea of a language that is completely new. First thing, the input.  Our brains look for patterns in linguistic input, that is to say, linguistic information....language. And there was A LOT of input in Seoul! Both for your eyes and ears. Oh my! An ADHD person's nightmare. Colourful ads everywhere, Tv shows with stickers and subtitles, bright lit ads on th...

Does learning a second language help you become a better reader in your first language? I did some research to answer that!

I wonder if Snoopy is bilingual.  The effects of learning a second language on native language’s reading comprehension- A systematic review from a cognitive science perspective. (manuscript) Barbara Echard M.Ed. sept, 2024 Universidad de Chile barbara.echard@uchile.cl     Abstract In learning a second language, the effects of the native language on the target have been profusely studied from a cognitive perspective, for example, on the form of cross-linguistic transfer with varying views regarding its negative or positive influence. However, the direction of this transfer has been traditionally studied taking the native language as the origin, and little is known about any effects that studying a second language can have on the linguistic skills a learner has on the first language, especially in adults and late bilinguals. This systematic review seeks to answer if such backward interaction and a specific effect on reading comprehension exists in adults. By using PRISMA me...